Frugal RVing In South States - Ebooks

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Meandering Thoughts

There have been a few goings on in my personal world that are definitely high on the sadness scale, and the season has provided its share of downs.

As noted, my Grandmother passed away late this summer, and a dear friend / maternal mentor who was also mentioned as ailing has now departed.

I also have a beloved uncle now counting his days and I am still trying to formulate all my thoughts and memories of him as I prepare to loose his presence too.

On top of that, another person I know is counting days on her father-in law's time here. Fortunately, surgery has slowed the cancer's progress, but not so fortunately, it hasn't completely removed the threat, just postponed the end. It does, however provide the chance to do a not so glorious version of The Bucket List.

I just am amazed how much can land at one time. It seems I will need to go to Victoria when my shifts are finished here in Three Hills, as that is the vicinity where my two beloved people are found. One funeral is tentatively on Oct 2, and if I am really fortunate, I will be able to say good bye to the other. That is what I would like most. I didn't get that opportunity with the others I have lost this year.

Outside of the sorrowful vein my life is currently tracking, things are continuing in a progressive direction. We are finalizing our health insurance, getting the critters' shots up to date, making plans about the vehicles and sundry to store the ones staying behind from the southward journey, ensured all plates, insurances, stickers, and information is up to date and covered for the duration of our time out of country.

We had a really good visit with Ken's father, and friends in the area. We are needing to go to Bellevue again, and look forward to time with our friend there.

When we arrived in Cereal, Midnight - eager to not be left in the truck, leaped out from the seat, and landed hard. Shortly after that I noticed that he wouldn't weight-bear on the right front leg, - not even put the paw down. Then he started panting when the temperature wasn't that hot - a sure sign of shock.

I decided it was best to take him to the vet just for safety sake. They were very accommodating, and I was able to bring him in almost right away.

It took some effort to diagnose his injury as he didn't whine or whimper when they palpated and manipulated the injured limb (The vet said if it was him, he surely would have bitten someone over the forced movement). The vet did detect a bit or inappropriate movement of the humorous at the shoulder, and observed that the right front leg was slightly shorter than the left.

He was given a muscle relaxant, but later upgraded to a mild sedative - not enough to knock him out like for surgery, but enough to really make him groggy and relaxed.

Once that was accomplished they reset the shoulder joint which he has dislocated. They kept him overnight to ensure the the bone stayed in the socket.

Midnight is only mildly limping now but has an oral anti-inflammatory drug to get him over it. He should completely recover.

Now we are noticing that his muzzle is bothering him as he is constantly rubbing on the carpet/lawn, and sometimes licking his lips with a focus that indicates irritation. I took a look at his mouth, and a few of the stitches have not dissolved, one with a particularly bulky knot right where he is licking most.

I carefully clipped the bulk of the knot off to reduce the irritation, but tomorrow while I am sleeping off the night shift, Ken is going to take him back to the Three Hills vet to have them remove any residual stitching that remains.

Glory has spent the last couple weeks trying to explore the great outdoors. She broke away one night when we were taking Midnight for a last constitutional, and spent the whole night outside. (Leaving me inside-out with worry).

She came home feeling like an adventurous wild cat, and proceeded to request for the next 2 nights at 9 pm precisely, that she should not be denied her right to explore. I disagreed, and as I can operate the door and she can't, .... I won.

She did it again about a week later, and this time, actively avoided capture so as to accomplish full night exploration. I think that with a combination of attention when behaving, and squirts with a spray bottle when the door is even remotely a focal point, we are making great progress in curtailing the intent to explore.

The up side is that when she does go for a leave of absence (or should I say she is Away Without Leave), she definitely knows where home is, and is solidly certain that she belongs to it. We will be watching her closely as we change her scenery!!

Anyway, night duties call so I will bid you,

Adieu

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like rough times. Wish I could give you a real hug, but a virtual one will have to do. *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
  2. There have been better days, for sure, but for now I am riding on a knowledge without the actual reality of it fully connecting right now.
    I did manage to get a flight booked, but unfortunately, last night, it was $105, today when I shuffled my shifts, it was $135. Bereavement fare is $200+, so the "sale" is a better deal.
    Thanks for your hugs and assorted supportive thoughts and cyber-gestures. They truly help.

    ReplyDelete