Frugal RVing In South States - Ebooks

Monday, May 11, 2009

Second Last Weekend

This weekend has been a combination of productivity, and downtime.

We went to Penticton on Saturday to pick up supplies as we got a new idea for the base of the kayak rack. Back when I was little, we had a 1973 Plymouth Valiant. The roofrack we had on it was simply a low metal frame with a plywood bottom, but the part I am focusing on is the basic large suction cup feet.

I figured that all we really needed was 2 bars on 2 suction cups each. The closest thing I found to it was over $300 after tax, and I just couldn't bear to pay it.

While wandering at Canadian Tire, I found a set of 2 suction cups with a screw in the top to attach to whatever suited the user's fancy. We then bought 2 - 10 foot long 1 inch diameter electrical conduit pipes, cut them down to 7 feet, and drilled a hole for the suction cup's screw. We can then attach the seawing to the pipes, and it all came to $22 for both pipes, and another $11.99 for each set of 2 suction cups, and now we just need 4 replacement screws as the pipe is deeper than the original that was provided. Then we take your basic tie-downs to anchor them to the roof of whichever carrier we choose, and it is done for well under the $300 (although the seawings still cost us about $115 each - discounted from $140).

Then my beloved took me out Saturday night for Mother's day dinner. The restaurant of choice closes on Sunday, and I had already arranged earlier this week to make dinner for ourselves and the neighbours on Sunday.  Here are some shots.  I forgot to shoot the New York style Blueberry Cheesecake and accompanying tea / coffee.





Tonight's dinner was stuffed turkey breast with veggies, salad, mashed potatoes, and baking powder biscuits.  We has a cherry pie for dessert, but we weren't able to eat it as we were utterly stuffed.  As an accompaniment, we had the Sage Grand Reserve from Silver Sage Winery, a local establishment that produces (in my opinion) the best wine, and that from a person not inclined to wine.  It was a marvelous evening, and I am still stuffed!! :-)

So now it is 1 am and I really must bid you,

Adieu
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment